A critical choice you’ll have to make when considering a custom built home is whether or not to choose a ranch or a two-story custom home plan. This choice can affect everything from the energy efficiency of your home to the overall cost. Let’s take a closer look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of both floorplan styles.
- Less space utilized for staircases
- Fewer stairs can be safer for families with small children as well as for the elderly
- Single-floor homes are more wheelchair accessible
- Ranch homes require fewer bathrooms since there is more shared space
- Laundry rooms and mud rooms can be combined, thus saving space
- Can be more expensive as ranch homes require more land and possibly a deeper foundation
- Square footage is limited by the size of the lot more so than a multi-level home
- Less privacy as more space is being shared and occupied
- Generally more cost-effective per square foot because they require less foundational excavation
- More energy efficient as less exterior wall and roof space is exposed to the elements, requiring less heating/cooling for interior spaces
- Shorter distances required for plumbing/wiring
- Better views from upper-level windows
- More privacy because spaces can more easily be divided
- Can be less energy efficient if there is a large amount of square-footage; it could be more expensive to heat a larger space and your A/C unit might have to work harder to cool large upper-levels
- Mobility for disabled or elderly persons can be difficult if there are a large number of stairs
- Stairs can take up to 100 square-feet, taking away from the amount of livable space
- Small children can be more difficult to supervise and there is also a risk of injury from falling down stairs.
If you are thinking of designing your own custom home plan, there are many choices and lots of options for you to consider. Sometimes the design process can feel overwhelming, but with a little help it doesn’t have to be. Contact Homes By Guardian and let us help you design your perfect home, today.